When it comes to marketing your videos online, one of the most important pieces of content you can create is the YouTube description. This short text box that appears right before a video starts playing provides a snapshot of the video, its genre, and other key information for viewers.
In this article, we’re going to outline 11 tips for writing great YouTube descriptions that will help your videos rank higher in search engine results and attract more viewers. So whether you’re just starting out or you want to improve your current description style, read on!
The two different YouTube descriptions
There are two different types of YouTube descriptions: the thumbnail and the full description.
The thumbnail is the small picture that appears next to your video when you upload it to YouTube. It’s important to make sure that your thumbnail is eye-catching and captures your viewer’s attention.
Your full description is the text that appears below your video’s title and above the “subscribe” button on YouTube. This is the perfect place to introduce your viewers to your video, explain what it is, and convince them to subscribe.
Here are some tips for writing great YouTube descriptions:
1. Make use of keywords. Use keywords in both your thumbnail and full description, so that Google can find your videos more easily.
2. Don’t be afraid to be creative. Try using metaphors, images, or funny quotes to attract attention and keep viewers hooked.
3. Keep it short and sweet. Aim for a maximum of 100 words per description, but don’t waste valuable space trying to write too much filler material (such as star ratings or other irrelevant information).
4. Make sure you have a verified account before you start writing descriptions.
Use interesting and descriptive titles
When you’re writing a YouTube description, it’s important to use interesting and descriptive titles. This will help viewers understand what the video is about and make a decision about whether or not to watch it.
Title tags are also important in YouTube descriptions. You should include the title of the video, the name of the creator, and the channel name. You can also include a keyword if you want viewers to find your video by that keyword.
You should also make sure your description is well-written and easy to read. Use active language that engages your viewers and includes concrete examples. For more tips on how to write great YouTube descriptions, check out our blog post on the subject.
Make your video description match your video title
When creating a YouTube video, it’s important to make sure the description matches the video title. This will help viewers find your video more easily and increase clickthrough rates.
To create a description that matches your video title, use keywords and phrases that are related to the topic of your video. You can also use specific words and phrases to target specific demographics or keywords.
For example: if you’re posting about travel, you might include terms like “vacation destinations” or “budget travel tips.”
By following these tips: you can create a descriptive YouTube video that will help viewers find and watch your content more easily.
1. Make those first 200 characters count
YouTube is one of the most popular video streaming platforms on the internet, and it’s no surprise that your videos can be very successful if you write great descriptions.
When you first start creating videos, it can be a bit confusing to figure out what to write in your description.
Here are some tips to help you write great YouTube descriptions:
1. Be creative! When you write your description, try to think of different ways to market your video. For example, you could mention specific products that your viewers could purchase after watching your video.
2. Keep it short and sweet! Your YouTube description should only be 200 characters long, so make sure you are concise and clear when writing it.
3. Use keywords! When you’re typing your description, make sure to include keywords that relate to the topic of your video. This will help people find your video more easily when they search for it on YouTube.
4. Make use of annotations! You can add annotations to your videos so that viewers can learn more about the topic of the video while they’re watching it.
- A painless guide to social media marketing for dentists
- Short-form vs. long-form video length best practices for social media
2. Repeat video keywords
When you upload a video to YouTube, you have the opportunity to write a descriptive title and description for it. These descriptions are important because they are what people see when they search for your video on YouTube.
You can use the keywords that are most relevant to your video or the topic of your video to help people find it. You can also use keywords in the title and description of your video to help improve its ranking on YouTube.
It is important to make sure that your description is clear, concise, and easy to understand. Keep in mind that people will only spend about 5 seconds looking at a YouTube description, so make sure that you focus on what’s important!
3. Add complementary keywords
When writing your YouTube description, it is important to add complementary keywords to help increase your viewership.
When you create a YouTube account, you are given the option to enter your website address in the “About Me” section of your profile. This will help people find you when they search for related content on YouTube.
You can also add complementary keywords to your titles, tags, and descriptions to help increase viewership for your videos. For example, if you are creating a video about gardening, you could add the keywords “gardening tips” in your title and description.
This will help people find your video when they are searching for gardening-related content on YouTube.
Adding complementary keywords is a great way to boost viewership for your videos and improve your chances of success on YouTube. Try using these tips to improve your viewership and success on YouTube!
4. Add call-to-action words & links
To increase the chances of your videos achieving success, add call-to-action words to your descriptions. These keywords can help viewers take specific actions, such as watching a video again or clicking on a link to learn more.
Here are some tips for adding effective call-to-action words to your YouTube descriptions:
1. Use action words that encourage viewers to take immediate action. Examples include “watch now” and “start learning now.”
2. Use keywords that are relevant to the video topic. For example, if you’re discussing a product, include terms like “buy,” “save,” and “get.”
3. Use keywords that are interesting and engaging. If your video is about cooking, for example, include terms like “yummy” and “tasty.”
4. Use keyword phrases in your titles and descriptions. For example, if you’re discussing parenting advice, title your video “How to raise perfect kids” and use phrases like “smart parenting tips” in your description.
5. Add default video upload settings
If you’re new to YouTube, you may not know how to create a great description for your videos. Your description is one of the most important elements of your YouTube channel, and it can help people find your videos.
There are a few tips that you can use to make sure that your descriptions are effective. First, make sure that you use keywords in your descriptions. This will help people find your videos when they search for them.
Second, make sure that you include images in your descriptions. This will help people understand what the video is about.
Finally, make sure that you keep your descriptions short and to the point. People don’t want to spend too much time reading your description, they just want to see the video!
6. Write like a human, not a robot
If you want your videos to be successful on YouTube, it’s important to write good descriptions. Not only do good descriptions help people find your videos, but they also help to improve the quality of your videos.
Here are some tips for writing good YouTube descriptions:
1. Use keywords
Make sure that you use keywords in your descriptions. This will help people find your videos when they’re searching for information related to those keywords.
2. Write in a conversational tone
Write like a human and try to sound like a friend is talking to you. This will make your descriptions more engaging and appealing to viewers.
3. Keep it short and sweet
Keep your descriptions short and concise. You don’t want viewers to spend more time reading your description than watching your video!
4. Use images and videos wisely
Include images and video clips in your descriptions, but be careful not to overcrowd the text with them. Use them sparingly so that you still leave plenty of room for a text that explains what’s happening in the video clip or image.
7. Add a few hashtags
YouTube is a great way to share your videos with the world, and one of the best ways to do that is by adding a few hashtags. A hashtag is a word or phrase that you add to the beginning of your YouTube video title to help people find it more easily.
Here are a few tips for writing great YouTube descriptions:
1. Make sure your video title is catchy and easy to remember.
2. Use keywords in your video title and description so that people who are searching for related content will find your video.
3. Add a few hashtags at the beginning of your video description so that people can find and follow you on social media using those hashtags.
4. Make sure your video description is long enough to provide useful information about the video and why someone should watch it.
5. Keep in mind the tone of your video when writing the description, as it will affect how people perceive it. Try to be funny, serious, or educational depending on what type of content you’re sharing.
6. Please do not spam YouTube with unnecessary comments or ads; doing so will get you banned from the platform.
8. Match your social voice
When you’re creating a video description for your YouTube channel, it’s important to match your social voice. This means writing in a way that is similar to the tone and style of your social media accounts.
For example, if you have a Facebook page, you might write your YouTube descriptions in the same style as your Facebook posts. If you have a Twitter account, you might write your YouTube descriptions in a more conversational tone.
Whatever style works best for you is fine! Just make sure that your descriptions are consistent with the tone of your social media accounts.
9. Make video descriptions easy to read
If you want to make your videos more popular, it’s important to write good video descriptions.
Video descriptions are the text that appears below a YouTube video. They provide information about the video, help people find it, and encourage them to watch it.
There are a few things you can do to make your video descriptions easy to read. First, use clear, concise language. Second, make sure all the important information is included in the description. Third, use keywords in your descriptions so people can find your videos when they search for information about a topic.
Finally, be sure to update your video descriptions regularly. This way, you can ensure that all the important information is available to viewers.
10. Preview your video description
If you want to make your videos more successful, it’s important to write effective YouTube descriptions.
Here are some tips for writing great descriptions:
1. Use keywords in your titles and descriptions.
2. Be descriptive.
3. Write in a clear and concise style.
4. Use strong visual elements to help promote your videos.
5. Use “call-to-action” buttons and other social media links to drive viewers to your channel.
6. Keep your descriptions short and sweet, so viewers will have enough time to watch your video without scrolling down.
7. Preview and test your descriptions before you upload them to see how they look and work on YouTube.
11. Check your analytics
You can create amazing videos that will get your audience interested and engaged by using great descriptions.
There are a few things you can do to make sure that your descriptions are perfect.
Here are a few tips:
1. Use keywords in your titles and descriptions.
2. Write in a conversational tone.
3. Use images and video to help illustrate your points.
4. Be specific about what your viewers can expect when they watch your video.
5. Keep the formatting clean and organized.
6. Use keywords throughout your content to improve SEO rankings for your videos.
7. Use YouTube annotations to provide additional information about the video, such as where it was filmed, who is in it, and more.
8. Make sure all of your videos have a “Subscribe” button so that viewers can be notified when new content is released.
9. Optimize your videos for search engines using “Videos” or “YouTube” tags, as well as captions and keywords in the description field (or other areas where appropriate).
10. Monitor how effective your descriptions are through analytics so that you can make any necessary changes as needed.